Serious injuries and millions of dollars in property loss happen each year from wildfires sparked by fireworks. Large grass crops and abundant vegetation, due to a wet winter,
increase the threat for devastating wildfires throughout all of California.
Know the Law
Learn About Fireworks Safety
Fireworks Safety Tips:
- California has zero tolerance for the sale and use of illegal fireworks. Illegal fireworks include:
- Sky rockets
- Bottle rockets
- Roman candles
- Aerial shells
- Other fireworks that explode, go into the air, or move on the ground in an uncontrollable manner
- It is illegal to sell, transport, or use fireworks that do not carry the “Safe and Sane” seal, as well as possess or use any fireworks in a community where they are not permitted.
- If convicted, a violator could be fined up to $50,000, as well as be sent to jail for up to one year.
- There are nearly 300 California communities that allow “Safe and Sane” fireworks. Check the list here .
- Parents are liable for any damage or injuries caused by their children using fireworks. View the California Law Summary .
Fireworks Injury Prevention Safety Tips:
- Use only State Fire Marshal approved fireworks
- Local ordinances should be verified before purchasing and/or using fireworks
- Always read directions
- Always have an adult present
- Only use fireworks outdoors
- Never use near dry grass or other flammable materials
- Light one at a time
- Have a bucket of water and a hose nearby
- Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse
- Back up several feet immediately after lighting fireworks
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person
- Never experiment with fireworks
- Never attempt to re-light or “fix” fireworks
- Do not wear loose fitting clothing while lighting fireworks
- Never carry fireworks in your pockets
- Fireworks are not toys